Sheet 91nw, 98, 99, 101, 102, Old Series, Lake District, c1880s. One inch to the mile
Sheets 91nw, 98, 99, 101, 102, Old Series, Lake District, c1880s. One inch to the mile (1:63,360) scale map covering Lake District from entire coast line to north of Allonby and inland to include Gatesgill in the northeast, Lake Windemere, and Cartmel in the southeast. Hand coloured, 15 sheets joined, cut and mounted on linen to fold between brown cloth covered hard covers. Full extent is 160 x 1132cm folding to 33.5 x 22cm. The adjoining margins were trimmed in the assembly. The bottom margin records the dates of sheet 91nw - the topographic survey 1852 and geological survey 1872, revised to 1881. The geological legend repeats in the right margins of sheets 98 and 102, and in the blank sea area for sheets 99 and 101. The maps are all in very good bright condition. Brown glue stains on the linen backing do not show through to the maps. The corners of the cover are worn and bumped. The front cover label shows it was assembled in Whitehaven and became the property of the Millom and Askam Hematite Iron Co.Ltd. in 1921. Cover in fair to good condition. Maps in good to very good condition. The component maps would sell for over £550 as separate complete sheets. The map because of its large extent as eleven joined up sheets with some loss of marginal information it is therefore selling for less.
About the England & Wales One Inch Old Series
The Geological Survey of England and Wales used the Old Series of the Ordnance Survey topographic map at a scale of one inch to the mile as its basemap, initially. These engraved basemaps were published and revised between 1805 and 1885; the sheet sizes varied and the layout and numbering system were eccentric. The Old Series geological maps were hand-coloured and without geological sections, which were published separately. The GS of E&W published the Old Series from 1850 to 1900, when it switched to the colour printing and the New Series one inch maps. However, old stock of the Old Series continued to be issued, hand-coloured, until the 1930s.