Horizontal Section No. 67 (1865). 1. From Culcheth Hall to Harwood Church, by Wharton and Great Lever. 2. From Arley Hall, Cheshire to Windle Moss, Lancs, by Warrington, and St. Helens. Geological Survey of GB. 1st
Horizontal Section No. 67 (1865). 1. From Culcheth Hall on the SW to Harwood Church, on the NE, by Bedford, Tyldesley, Wharton and Great Lever, near Bolton-le-Moors. 2. From Arley Hall, Cheshire to Windle Moss, Lancashire, by Warrington, Bold Park, Sutton and St. Helens. Geological Survey of GB. 1st edition. Located on Old Series one-inch maps 80 & nw, 89se &sw. Hand-coloured engraving, 69 x 103cm, 1:10,560 scale (6”= 1mile). Flat, age-toned, short tears in right edge clean, (coloured 1923). In good condition.
About England & Wales Sections
These hand-coloured engraved ‘horizontal’ sections at six inch to one mile scale were published in the mid 19th century by the Geological Survey of England and Wales. The detailed profiles generally follow the geological dip on the one inch Old Series maps numbered in the upper right hand margin and the profile locations are shown on these maps which themselves did not include a section.